Ongoing research for LCPD – Send in a sample
The Westie Foundation is working with Clemson University to research the genetic mutation occuring in Westies with LCPD. Here is what they are asking for:
URGENT! WESTIE DNA SAMPLES NEEDED FOR NEW LEGG-CALVE-PERTHES GENETIC RESEARCH PROJECT
The Clemson University Canine Genetic Laboratory is beginning a new project investigating Legg-Calve-Perthes (LCP) in West Highland White Terriers. We are collecting blood samples from LCP-affected dogs and normal, unaffected dogs. All supplies and shipping costs will be provided by our lab and most veterinarians are willing to draw blood samples for research at no cost.
We Need Your Help!
We currently have samples from 7 LCPD-affected Westies and 6 unaffected Westies. Our minimum number of samples required to complete this work is 20 affected and 20 unaffectedWesties.
If you are interested in participating in this study, please follow the instructions below for details on sample collection and submission. All information collected for this study will be kept confidential.
LEGG-CALVE-PERTHES PROJECT – WESTIE OWNER INSTRUCTIONS
- Print the LCPDNA-Submission-Package, in .PDF format.
- Fill out the Owner’s Consent Form.
- Fill out the Submission Form.
- Contact Dr. Alison Starr (email@example.com) for a FedEx account number to bill the sample shipment to. Save this account number to give to the veterinarian.
- Bring all pages, including the forms, instructions and FedEx account number to the veterinarian.
LEGG-CALVE-PERTHES PROJECT – VETERINARIAN INSTRUCTIONS
- Obtain from the owner: Owner’s Consent Form, Submission Form, Blood Collection Instructions and FedEx account number for shipping.
- Collect blood according to the Blood Collection Instructions.
- Ship out sample via FedEx STANDARD OVERNIGHT, Monday through Thurs, according to Blood Collection Instructions.